Thursday 12 February 2009

Having a moment with Jesus, and Alan Carr... (Alice)

Hey hey there,

Think I last wrote on Monday, so thought would drop another line before leaving to Buenos Aires. As I said, I really enjoyed the favella tour, and ended up having a relaxing night on Monday.

Tuesday decided that as it was so hot, I needed another day on the beach. Walked down to Praia Vermelha (next to Copacabana beach) with Paul, and it was gorgeous. The sand was like brown sugar (just a little less brown), and the little bay was beautiful. Reminded me of somewhere in Italy, a big change from the miles and miles of beach in Copacabana and Ipanema. The bay was really quiet, and even though we were not meant to swim as the currents were too strong, we swam anyway (mistakenly ignoring the no swimming signs!) We both survived, I am happy to say, and had a great day on the beach. Even managed to get a huge chunk of cheese on a stick, grilled by a man carrying around a lit stove and a coolbox of cheese and hotdogs. Slightly strange tasting, but brilliant anyway. Such a hard life... This hostel is a quiet hostel, and it´s actually really nice to just relax in the evenings - am saving myself (and my money) for a bit of craziness in Buenos Aires!

Decided to see Christ the Redeemer statue yesterday, as the sun was shining and the statue was clear (we can see it from our hostel). Went with a group of people, including an English couple and a weird guy from the hostel. Met a lovely Spanish guy working and living in London (banker), on the bus so he tagged along for the ride.

We first of all went to another viewpoint by taxi, and saw stunning views of the city. Words cannot really describe just how pretty it was. We could see for miles, seeing the maracana football stadium, the beaches, the marina, the airport, the random mountains that spring up in parts of the city, and of course Sugarloaf Mountain. Absolutely beautiful, and the whole place just looked so blue - the hazy sky and the bright blue ocean. We could see the road that our hostel was on, and the local beach that we go to.

Headed up to the statue, and it was incredible. It isn´t actually that high, only 30m, but you can see it from all over the city. Apparently it used to face a different direction, but then slums started to build below it, so they turned it around. We could see a 360 view of the city, including the Copacabana and Ipenema beaches. There were helicopters flying past with rich tourists seeing the city in luxury (so jealous!) and ended up bumping into Jessie, a Canadian that I had met in Puerto Iguazu. Also, very strangely, ended up seeing a very sweaty Alan Carr up the there too (well, we were all sweaty, it was 40 degrees and humid)... suppose everyone has to have a holiday, but was just a surreal experience! The statue was the most important thing that I wanted to see in Rio, and I was so glad that the sun came out yesterday, and that the sky was clear. The statue more than lived up to my expectations, - I was grinning for quite a while!

Decided to head to the botannical gardens with the others, and again saw some weird and wonderful plants, animals and flowers. Not really used to doing things like that, but loved it anyway, although by this time I was feeling very dehydrated, and like I had been stewed for a few hours! Some lovely photos of orchids, before I called it a day. Was going to go to the maracana football stadium last night, but unfortunately there were no more tickets. So ended up doing a challenge for a free night in the hostel... and failed. Oops!

So have been wandering around the city today, sightseeing and generally mooching about. Unfortunately the centro isn´t very pretty, and neither are the churches, so came back after a while. Think will try and see some music tonight, certainly up for a drink (or more) in my last night in Rio. This place is crazy, so colourful and vibrant, really looking forward to coming back again when I have a bit more money, and catching Carneval at some point.

So tomorrow I plan to head to the bohemian, artsy part of the city, before getting a 38 bus to BA. Luckily it is not too long, and I think it is cama, so the chairs are bigger. But will probably have to shower before I jump into bed with either Hayley or J, when I arrive at 7am in BA!

Anyway, hope that the snow etc isn´t being too difficult for you all, - don´t want to hear any excuses about not going to work! Will write again when I meet with the others in BA (and Beth and Ron of course).

Lots of love, Alice xxxxxx

No comments: