Wednesday 22 October 2008

Diving!

Well we all lived through our first dive in the sea. It was touch and go for a while - even my instructor buddy said afterwards he didn't think I'd make it down! So proud... think am conquering my fear of things in the sea coming and ripping my limbs off slowly, inch by inch, flesh hanging between their teeth....

It was absolutely beautiful down there. Another whole new world, it's really difficult to describe. Photos and videos just don't come close. Absolutely terrifying, but beautiful too. J had a few problems with forgetting to breathe properly - she nearly drowned haha - and Haz managed to do everything spot on nearly every time. I had a few issues with my weighting, so ended up floating away sometimes and had to be pulled back down again - very dangerous with lung overexpansion etc. Then I ended up on my arse - only I could end up on my bum in the sea! Few issues with taking weight belt off at the surface of the water - unfortunately I put it in the wrong place, so it was under me, I was floating on the surface but being pulled down, and my snorkel wasn't working as it was filled with water. Only thrashed around a little bit...

But we made it, and I think we all enjoyed it. Went to a salsa class last night with instructors from the dive school and our dive class - Haz has a magic twinkle in her eye which meant that she was continually pulled up to dance with various men - literally, Stephane carried her off her chair and dragged her onto the dancefloor. Haz did put up a good fight, but she wasn't strong enough. And J and I didn't help her as we found it far too funny. So after sweating a lot, we realised that we could kind of dance enough to have fun. Really good night, although we're aching today! And need more coffee...

Anyway gotta sunbathe to catch a few unusual rays of sun in Honduras's rainy season. Starting diving again in 50 minutes... going fish spotting today and then more skills. Should be kind of cool, but not impressed that I've learnt the hand signal for 'barracuda'... There is no way I want to see one!

Lots of love, missing you all loads,
Al xxxxxx

No comments: